POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere_sweep doesn't scale : Re: sphere_sweep doesn't scale Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep doesn't scale
From: Roman
Date: 16 Dec 2013 05:32:38
Message: <52aed6c6$1@news.povray.org>
On 2013-12-16 02:03, clipka wrote:
> Note that it is not your s itself that matters, but the size of the
> resulting structures. You're at 3e-5 there (for s=1), which is obviously
> still close enough to 1e-6 to give you problems.
>
> Also note how your scene is unconventionally small anyway, with the
> primary scene content having a size in the order of 0.1 units (again at
> s=1).
>
> I'm sorry to say this, but POV-Ray wasn't designed with this scenario in
> mind. Traditionally, scenes are designed with the primary content having
> a size in the order of 1 unit or above.

Thank you for your explanations. So, in order for POV-Ray to work
properly, the distance between any two geometrical features (such as the
inner and outer surface of a thin shell) must be well above 1e-6 POV-Ray
units? This raises a few questions.

1. Is this documented somewhere? I cannot be the only one who is
affected by this. Again, IMHO, this is a major deficiency in POV-Ray
that people should know about, or they will get unexpected/wrong
behavior. For instance, they can't use SI units for a scene involving
micrometer-scale objects.

2. What about fractals? They certainly range to much smaller scales
easily, even if the global size is, say, in the order of 1 unit.

3. Could you please, if you can, point me to the location in the source
code where this constant is set/used?. I'd like to experiment with this
a bit.

-Roman