POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere_sweep doesn't scale : Re: sphere_sweep doesn't scale Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep doesn't scale
From: Roman
Date: 15 Dec 2013 11:23:52
Message: <52add798$1@news.povray.org>
On 2013-12-15 01:56, clipka wrote:

> The answer is quite simple: As various internal "fudge factors" are set
> to 1e-6, scene details should be a good deal larger than that.

Well, I can live with the fact that s=1e-6 doesn't render anything,
although I think that POV-Ray should be free of internal absolute fudge
factors that break scale invariance. If these are really needed, they
should be relative so they work at any scale, or at least modifiable by
the user.

The problem is that even quite large scales s>>1e-6 result in different
images. The stripped-down scene I posted earlier might somewhat conceal
the severity of my problem. The following closer to what I actually try
to render: Transparent thin surfaces. Notice the vast difference in
visual appearance depending on s=1 or s=10. Interestingly, the
difference vanishes for thicker surfaces (e.g. 1/100 instead of 1/1000).

I'm stumped. Please tell me how I can scale such thin transparent
surfaces to get an equivalent visual.

// START SCENE FILE

#version 3.7;

#declare s = 10; // try 1 or 10

camera {
	location 0.1*s*z
	look_at 0
}

sphere {
	0, s
	texture {
		pigment { rgb 1 }
		finish { emission 1 diffuse 0 }
	}
}

#declare shell = difference {
	sphere { 0, 1.001 }
	sphere { 0, 1 }
}

union {
	object { shell translate -x/2 }
	object { shell translate x/2 }
	scale s*0.03
	material {
		texture {
			pigment { rgb 0.9 filter 1 }
			finish {
				ambient 0
				diffuse 0
				reflection { 0, 1 }
				conserve_energy
			}
		}
		interior {
			ior 1.61
			fade_power 1001
			fade_distance 6*s
		}
	}
}

// END SCENE FILE

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'scale_problem2_1.png' (4 KB) Download 'scale_problem2_10.png' (3 KB)

Preview of image 'scale_problem2_1.png'
scale_problem2_1.png

Preview of image 'scale_problem2_10.png'
scale_problem2_10.png