POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth normals for mesh2 objects : Re: Smooth normals for mesh2 objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth normals for mesh2 objects
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 8 Dec 2013 03:28:39
Message: <52a42db7@news.povray.org>
Le 07/12/2013 20:46, clipka nous fit lire :
> Am 07.12.2013 19:18, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
>
>>> (Feature request: memory mapped uncompressed on-disk lookup tables. I've
>>> given up trying to feed Povray really huge datasets because the time
>>> taken to load them into memory is crippling. If I can just leave them on
>>> disk and use mmap() instead, then not only does only the part of the
>>> data I need get loaded, but it remains loaded between runs. Loads, loads
>>> faster. It's not even slightly hard when using Boost;
>>> boost::memory_mapped_source works everywhere.)
>>>
>> It would be fine for a pigment (evaluation of some points only, when
>> intersection spot them), but not with a set of triangles which must all
>> be tested for intersection against all rays.
>
> Mesh has its own internal bounding mechanism, so no need to look up each
> and every triangle.

Yet all the data must be parsed for the bounding mechanism to work.

The idea, if I got it correctly, is to have a pigment evaluated
according to the COBE projection and a file (never parsed).

With boost API, it might even be portable enough.
(but I'm afraid of multi-thread slowing down mmap operation: as each
thread ask for a different points in different area. Well not as obvious
as it might seems)

The trick here is that the idea was suggested inside that thread, but it
would have been better in its own thread.