POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth normals for mesh2 objects : Re: Smooth normals for mesh2 objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth normals for mesh2 objects
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Dec 2013 21:31:50
Message: <52a28896$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/6/2013 4:24 PM, clipka wrote:
>> It might be interesting for a displaying engine (with clipping of the
>> view), but seems not adapted to the way povray handles the texture so
>> far.
>
> If you're trying to model an entire planet at that resolution, you're
> doing something wrong anyway.

Or, use the new "fractal" system for it, which is being fiddled with to
do precisely that sort of thing, but then.. I have no clue how that even
works. lol But, yeah, the data needed to handle that, in any practical
way.. well, there is a bloody good reason no one does it, except in
flight sim games, which take insane amounts of disk space to manage it.