POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth normals for mesh2 objects : Re: Smooth normals for mesh2 objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth normals for mesh2 objects
From: clipka
Date: 6 Dec 2013 18:24:38
Message: <52a25cb6@news.povray.org>
Am 07.12.2013 00:06, schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> Can work for colours, but I wonder if the bins can be elevated or buried
> without breaking everything.

Shouldn't be any problem I guess: Just move the vertices along the
respective radial direction, and there's no way for the mesh to tangle up.

> But the idea is nice to generate a mesh of a sphere, yet the last
> external link is saying that an icosahedron is better than a cube. (but
> less easier to serialise the points)

That is exactly the point: A collection of 20 triangles sounds like an
ugly mess to handle; 6 squares sounds much more palatable.

> I like it when the resolution goes down to use 31 bits... with just one
> byte per pixel, you need just about 2GBytes and that's only for the a
> gif-like planet at a level of 14, which still make the side of a bin
> about 600m long for the Earth.
> You cannot even have individual house or roads.
> To spot/draw a car (as a pixel or two), a level of 22 is needed...
> (reach a resolution of 2.4 m)
> Either 16GBytes of black & white (fax mod), or 128GB for a gif-like.
>
> It might be interesting for a displaying engine (with clipping of the
> view), but seems not adapted to the way povray handles the texture so far.

If you're trying to model an entire planet at that resolution, you're
doing something wrong anyway.

One solution could be to define a sub-section to actually load into memory.