POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth normals for mesh2 objects : Re: Smooth normals for mesh2 objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth normals for mesh2 objects
From: clipka
Date: 6 Dec 2013 17:45:11
Message: <52a25377@news.povray.org>
Am 06.12.2013 23:16, schrieb David Given:
> On 06/12/13 22:11, David Given wrote:
> [...]
>> One day someone's going to come up with a way of storing efficient,
>> interpolatable spherical heightmap data without the distortion involved
>> in forcing it into a 2D matrix...
>
> The Usenet effect strikes again --- as soon as I post, I stumble across
> the answer!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrilateralized_spherical_cube
>
> However I doubt Povray's going to get a COBE sky cube spherical
> heightfield primitive any time soon, so it doesn't actually help me much.

The primary problem with a "spherical height field" is that it probably
doesn't give much advantage over a mesh, as far as rendering time is
concerned.

That said, I guess a special syntax for "spherical height field" meshes
would be nice to have (just like mesh2 is also a special syntax for a
mesh, or like cylinder is actually a syntax for a special case of the
"cone" primitive); for the tesselation scheme, and possibly also for
data input, the COBE sky cube might indeed be a good candidate (though
I'd prefer to use arbitrary patterns for data input, and make the COBE
sky cube just one more image mapping pattern).