POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tips for patent-office-ready images : Re: Tips for patent-office-ready images Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tips for patent-office-ready images
From: scott
Date: 23 Oct 2013 11:04:02
Message: <5267e562$1@news.povray.org>
> Unfortunately, the images look like they've been through a fax machine. Even if
> that's not literally true, whatever process was used to go from my digital
> submission to my company's lawyers to the final product in the patent caused
> most of the information to be lost.   I was of the impression that I'd seen
> other patents where the bitmaps were faithfully represented.
>
> Q: What tricks would you use in povray to make a great 3D rendering "fax-machine
> proof"?

At my previous company all drawings for patents had to be black&white
line/vector art. 3D stuff was normally done in CAD and then exported as
a bitmap (most CAD software lets you set to "wireframe" and choose a
line thickness / output quality). Although I never used POV for these
type of images, I suppose the easiest way would be to render in high
contrast (black objects on a white background) and then post-process in
photoshop or similar with an edge detector.