POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : the aperture value in Povray : Re: the aperture value in Povray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:35:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the aperture value in Povray
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 22 Oct 2013 15:11:54
Message: <5266cdfa$1@news.povray.org>
Ingwer wrote:

> I want to simulate the camera calibration in Povray

The camera is different from a real world camera. For most
purposes the aperture is simply a point (point camera). Very
simple optics, in focus everywhere, and the raytracer does not
care that almost no light would pass through in real life ;)

> but I don't know exactly the value of aperture in Povray. Is it the
> diameter (povray units) of the camera? or is it only a referenced
> value for the depth of view?

The latter. See 3.4.2.3 in the documentation (of POV-Ray 3.7).

> I have also heard, that the form of the aperture in Povray is square
> not a circle.

In 3.7 there is also a bokeh keyword to set the shape.