POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity causing black blotches : Re: Radiosity causing black blotches Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity causing black blotches
From: Alain
Date: 19 Oct 2013 20:18:21
Message: <5263214d@news.povray.org>

> Thanks, Alain, that showed some improvement. However I am still getting weird
> artifcats, although more subtle ones. Here is a scene with your suggested
> improvement, however you can still see black rings on the halo of the sphere
> across the plane. I feel like I am missing something in this radiosity
> buisness..
>
> global_settings { assumed_gamma 1
>   radiosity {
>       pretrace_start 0.08
>       pretrace_end   0.005
>       count 10000 990000
>       error_bound 0.3
>       recursion_limit 1
>       nearest_count 20 3
Try using a larger second parameter here. It may help.

>     }}
>
> #default{radiosity{importance 75/10000}}
>
> #include "colors.inc"
>
> camera {
> location < -100,40,-20>
> look_at  <0.0,20,0>
>

> }
>   sphere{<100,60,0> 20 finish{emission rgb<1,1,1>} pigment{White}// hollow
> radiosity{importance 1}}
>
> plane {
>          <0, 1, 0>, -3
>
>          pigment{color <1,1,1>}
>          finish { reflection 0.5 ambient 0.0 diffuse 1 specular 0 phong 1 }
>          no_reflection
>

> }

Your emissive sphere don't need the hollow modifier as it don't contain
any media.

Try using a smaller value for the radiosity's adc_bailout. It dafault to
0.01/2 (or 0.005).
Try something like 0.003 or less.

It's a parameter that's often overlooked and can make a huge difference
when you use emissive objects to illuminate your scene.

Alain