POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : little help setting up a scene : Re: little help setting up a scene Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:35:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: little help setting up a scene
From: Alain
Date: 7 Oct 2013 21:10:08
Message: <52535b70$1@news.povray.org>

> Hey guys,
>
> I've used POV-ray off and on over the years but not much recently.  I'm trying
> to build a scene as a background for a game and could use a little help.
>
> The idea is to be looking under water from an angle that shows the sky at the
> very top, the water surface changing to underwater and then the sea floor at the
> bottom.
>
> I have this so far:
>
> #include "colors.inc"
>    camera {
>      location  <0, 20, -100>
>      sky <0, -1, 0>
>      up <0, -1, 0>
>    }
>    background { color SkyBlue }
>
>      plane{<0,100,10>, 0
>        texture{
>          pigment{rgb <.2,.2,.2>}
>          finish {ambient 0.15
>                  diffuse 0.55
>                  brilliance 6.0
>                  phong 0.8
>                  phong_size 120
>                  reflection 0.6}
>                }// end of texture
>          normal{
>                  bumps 0.75
>                  scale <20.5,10.5,10.5>
>                  turbulence 0.01
>                }
>       }// end of plane
>
>    light_source { <100, 120, 40> color rgb <1, 1, 1> }
>    fog {
>      distance 400
>      color rgb<0.5, 0.7, 0.9>
>    }
>
> That has a fairly good underwater look, I'll tweak with the distance and color
> of the fog to perfect but how can I get the fog to stay under the water surface
> and how can I get the sea floor down below?
>
> Thanks for the help!

Just a little hint:
A fog don't exist inside any non-hollow object.

Maybe if the AIR above the water was effectively inside some object...

In this case, the camera would need to be encased in some opening in
that object if it's situated above the water.

As for the sea floor, you can use an hight_field of an isosurface.

Alain