POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiation flickering : Re: Radiation flickering Server Time
3 May 2024 08:50:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiation flickering
From: Alain
Date: 9 Sep 2013 01:15:02
Message: <522d5956@news.povray.org>

> First of all thanks for your quick replies! I think that for our daylight
> scenarios reusing the radiosity samples is a really good solution, we didn't
> think of that yet. However, for our night scenes we have moving cars with lights
> mounted 'on' them. In other words, we do not only have moving objects, but
> moving lights as well.
> Can we also reuse the radiosity samples for this type of scenarios? If not, is
> there maybe another solution we can use?
>
> Regards Jelle

When you have moving parts, reusing radiosity samples will result in
highly inacurate results. With moving lights, you'll be left with areas
retaining the illumination from the first frame in the last frame.

Some things that you may try:

Use a smaller pretrace_end value. It default to 0.04. Try something like
0.01 or 0.005.
Use a smaler value for low_error_factor. The default is 0.5. Try
something around 0.2.
Use "+hr" on the command line to turn on the "high reproductibility" mode.
Increase the count value.
Take advantage of the importance feature: Set a relatively low default
importance, but have critical objects with "radiosity{importance 1}" to
use the maximum sampling for them. In your case, you should probably set
the road surface and vehicles with a higher importance than the rest.
Sample of using importance:
#default{radiosity{ilportance 0.1}}
global_settings{radiosity{samples 1000}}
object{Some_Object{radiosity{importance 1}}

In this case, most of the scene will get about 100 radiosity samples,
but "Some_object" will be sampled at 1000 samples. This can greatly
reduce the trace time.

Alain