POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How does povray interpret height fields? : Re: How does povray interpret height fields? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How does povray interpret height fields?
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 6 Sep 2013 20:28:09
Message: <522a7319$1@news.povray.org>
Ger wrote:

> I use an external program to create png files that contain height data.
> The difference between adjacent points is generally very little but as
> povray renders the height fields it shows very large jumps in height.
 >
> is it
>
> height of pixel = (R x 256 x 256) + (G * 256) + B?

I *think* POV-Ray only supports 16 bit data, and that the color hack
is not for higher bit depth but for 16 bit support back when no native
16-bit formats where suported. For 16-bit you can use a single channel
(gray) 16-bit PNG file if supported by the software.

Also, I'm not aware that this color-coding is in any way standardized,
so I wonder what kind of tool creates color HF data (unless intended for
POV, but then it should have worked).