POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rendering extremely large images : Re: Rendering extremely large images Server Time
11 Jun 2024 18:12:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering extremely large images
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 1 Sep 2013 10:40:00
Message: <522351c0$1@news.povray.org>
Le 01/09/2013 15:23, Atlaste nous fit lire :
> I'm just wondering... what is large and how can I influence where that file is
> saved? Say, if it's only a few GB, I can just as easily create a ramdisk (on the
> same or another server) and store it there to speed things up? Or should I think
> more in the line of half a TB?

Large (the criteria to use a temporary file instead of 100% ram) is
defined via the Max_Image_Buffer_Memory (+MI) parameter (default to 128,
number of megabytes, uncompressed floating points of 5 values, above
which a file is created)

So, for 38400x21600, you can force to stay in memory with either:
MI=0
or any MI > 15820

Beware, you need more than 16 Gigabytes of memory to avoid the
swap-deadland.

The file, when it exist, depends on the system:
* windows: GetTempPath(), extended with a povwin subdirectory if
possible (else raw value of GetTempPath() )
** GetTempPath checks in order : environment variables TMP, TEMP,
USERPROFILE, and the windows directory.