POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Speeding render times : Re: Speeding render times Server Time
26 Apr 2024 12:33:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding render times
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 28 Aug 2013 18:02:24
Message: <521e7370$1@news.povray.org>
Bald Eagle wrote:

> Sometimes there are multiple light sources in a scene, yet the user knows that
> any light coming from those would not significantly impact the rest of the
> scene, due to distance from the camera, or due to  the visible scene being
> outside of the fade distance of the light source

That is already a known suggestion in the pipeline

http://bugs.povray.org/task/118

> Which would be dependent upon, and leads me to the next fantasy feature, an
> inter-frame storage buffer of sorts.

I had also suggested this earlier, it can be quite useful. I hacked
this in a locally built version by adding "#static" variables. These
were identical to those using "#declare" except that they were not
cleared after parsing, so they were available in another frame or
even for different renders as long as POV-Ray was not closed.

This worked fine in principle although the only way to free the memory
hogged by a static variable was to render a script that "#undef"-ed it.

Unfortunately the fix is based on an old beta. I was thinking
to submitting this as a patch after 3.7 final is out.