POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : recursively defined objects and memory : Re: recursively defined objects and memory Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: recursively defined objects and memory
From: Ger
Date: 20 Aug 2013 12:36:41
Message: <52139b19@news.povray.org>
On 08/20/2013 02:58 AM, scott wrote:

> But won't the problem be that the more iterations you do the more the
> shape will drift away from a sphere (as not every point on the sphere
> gets an equal chance to be either raised or lowered)? If you are aiming
> for a huge number of iterations then the shape could become quite strange.
>
> I have to try this method, probably outside of POV for speed.

The shape will/does drift away from a perfect sphere but that's not
because not all points get changed.
The rule is that a plane cuts the sphere into 2 pieces, one possibly
larger then the other, all points on 1 side of the plane get raised, all
other points get lowered. What gets done to what points is totally
dependent on the random stream. If you don't like the endresult then the
only thing you can do is start over with a different seed().
--
Cheers
Ger