POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : recursively defined objects and memory : Re: recursively defined objects and memory Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: recursively defined objects and memory
From: scott
Date: 20 Aug 2013 03:58:41
Message: <521321b1$1@news.povray.org>
>>>    #declare Cut = object { CuttingPlane translate y * Displacement
>>> rotate <AngleX, AngleY, AngleZ> };

>>>    #declare PlaneAngleX = rand(RandAngle) * 360;
>>>    #declare PlaneAngleY = rand(RandAngle) * 360;
>>>    #declare PlaneAngleZ = rand(RandAngle) * 360;
>>
>> On a separate note, are you sure that method of choosing the plane
>> orientation gives a uniform random distribution...?
>>

> No, it does not, but doing it this way gives a better result than using
> a single rand() for the plane orientation.

But won't the problem be that the more iterations you do the more the
shape will drift away from a sphere (as not every point on the sphere
gets an equal chance to be either raised or lowered)? If you are aiming
for a huge number of iterations then the shape could become quite strange.

I have to try this method, probably outside of POV for speed.