POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : recursively defined objects and memory : Re: recursively defined objects and memory Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: recursively defined objects and memory
From: Ger Remmers
Date: 18 Aug 2013 17:08:14
Message: <521137be$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/13/2013 02:28 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:

> If anyone has suggestions, I'd welcome them.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

Doing it the sphere-cut-in-half-rinse-repeat method is obviously not
going to work as has been discussed.

I have implemented another way to produce a similar result.

Define evenly distributed points on the sphere (you'll need quite a few
points (I have one running now with 5M points(*)))

Create a random plane to cut the sphere in half, every point inside the
plane gets lowered, all other points get raised.

Repeat the plane thingy until you get something you like.

(*) Povray seems to have a problem with very large arrays. I  can go as
high as 800K nodes, after that the last position in the array seems to
get corrupted.
So, for the > 800K version I have created an external program.

I'll post an example image in pbi

--
Cheers
Ger