POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Camera angles problem : Re: Camera angles problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera angles problem
From: Alain
Date: 18 Aug 2013 16:39:57
Message: <5211311d$1@news.povray.org>

> I am trying to duplicate the camera angle in a scene with a box mapped
> with the image, but when I use certain camera positions and look
> combinations, it rotates the image along the z axis. It seems to happen
> when the Camera position and look position don't have the same y value.
>
> How can i fix this?
>
> here is a stripped down version. If the "doesn't work' part is commented
> out it works fine.
>
> I must admit, I don't always know when to use Reorient_Trans() vs
> vrotate() vs VAngleD() and even less how to use them. It gets confusing.

 From the documentations:
"The look_at vector tells POV-Ray to pan and tilt the camera until it is
looking at the specified x, y, z coordinates."

Whenever the y position of the camera and look_at are different, the
camera will tilt up or down,
Depending on the x and z coordinates, and the order of the pan and tilt,
it can look as if the camera did rotate around the z axis as well as the
x axis.

This can cause unexpected result if it cause the camera to look straight
up or down.
When looking straight up or down, you need to provide the up vector.
Another way is to create the camera at the origin, looking toward +z
(the default), and use rotate -90*x to look up and rotate 90*x to look down.