POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help importing mesh object : Re: Help importing mesh object Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help importing mesh object
From: scott
Date: 6 Aug 2013 11:05:23
Message: <520110b3$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/08/2013 14:16, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Super.
> I now have:
> Blobman
> MakeHuman
> POV-Person
> Blender
> NetFabb
> Moray
> POV-Ray
> .... and who knows what else is lurking in the download folder...
>
> What should I use to easily and quickly separate unattached parts of a large
> mesh file into individual mesh components so that I can apply transforms?

Blender should be able to do it.

> Is there a short processing script or is everything GUI?

Sorry I don't use Blender much, but in theory you should be able to
write a script to separate a mesh into its individual disconnected
parts. Or of course you can do it manually.

OOC where are you getting the STL files from? There might be an easier
or shorter route to get the mesh data into POV in a more useful format.

> Can I do CSG on mesh objects?
> For example, take a mesh sphere and intersect it with a thin box to get a flat
> disk / coin / cylinder?

Yes. You just need to define an "inside_vector" for each mesh, look in
the help for more info.