POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rounding and logic functions : Re: rounding and logic functions Server Time
7 May 2024 15:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rounding and logic functions
From: James Holsenback
Date: 3 Aug 2013 18:56:15
Message: <51fd8a8f$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/03/2013 05:52 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

>> Well, that would be too easy, wouldn't it :-P
>
> Right-o.  What's life without a challenge, eh?
>
>> I guess he'll be happy about hints
>> like yours pointing out potential for even further improvement. After
>> all there's one thing that becomes more and more difficult the more one
>> gets acquainted to a piece of software and its documentation: To notice
>> potential problems that new users might run into.
>
> Indeed.  You acheive a certain myopia and over-familiarity.  That's why you have
> OTHER people proofread your work, because you tend read right THROUGH the
> errors.
>
> I'm trying to illustrate to myself how things work, so maybe some of those ideas
> will help out with clarifying the docs.

What did you have in mind ... I could add an index entry to ceil and
floor so they come up when round is the search term. That would be on
windows version only. Mileage may vary. As far as expanding the
reference section
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Numeric_Expressions#Functions
(where ceil and floor are mentioned) I don't see a lot of room there
given the format used for the rest of the functions. Maybe a small
example /could/ be made to fit into the current scheme, but that
/really/ doesn't do anything to address the fact you weren't aware that
ceil and floor could be used like clipka showed ... at the moment kings
x on coming up with a different layout. For the heck of it I took a
quick tour of the tutorial and see that it's lacking in any sort of
information about writing functions, so I guess I'm out of ideas