POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rounding and logic functions : Re: rounding and logic functions Server Time
7 May 2024 08:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rounding and logic functions
From: clipka
Date: 3 Aug 2013 17:20:16
Message: <51fd7410$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.08.2013 17:08, schrieb Bald Eagle:

>> You can achieve a round-to-nearest-integer using ceil(X-0.5); You can
>> achieve a round-to-Q-decimal-places by multiplying before and dividing
>> after, such as in:
>>
>>       ceil( X*pow(10,Q) - 0.5 ) * pow(0.1,Q)
>
> Right.  I guess I wanted truly simple and straightforward, not the "you can
> write your own formula for doing what should only t5ake invoking an easily
> remembered and commonly used command".
> It's also rather frustrating to a noob when searching for "round", and there's
> no cross-index for floor and ceil, terms which no one would ever think to search
> for.

Well, that would be too easy, wouldn't it :-P

Frankly, I'm not the best person to discuss documentation matters; I'm
happy when I can dump my description of new features into someone else's
lap, and let them sort out where it fits best, where it should be
cross-linked, and all that sort of stuff. James Holsenback has been
doing great work in that respect, and he also has been giving the
documentation a general facelift; I guess he'll be happy about hints
like yours pointing out potential for even further improvement. After
all there's one thing that becomes more and more difficult the more one
gets acquainted to a piece of software and its documentation: To notice
potential problems that new users might run into.