POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV_Ray for android? : Re: POV_Ray for android? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV_Ray for android?
From: Alain
Date: 2 Aug 2013 20:53:37
Message: <51fc5491@news.povray.org>

>> Am 02.08.2013 07:54, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
>>
>>> I'm afraid any render of more than 30 seconds might siphon the battery
>>> as well as overheat the cpu and burn your hand holding the cooling plate.
>>
>> Not necessarily. It might just as well throttle down to a crawl. But
>> yes, smartphones and tablet PCs are pretty poor at number crunching.
>
> that's because you guys still think of a number crunching CPU
>
> number crunching nowadays has been largely delegated to GPUs
>
> smartphone/tablets were created to play 3D games and decode mpg4 streams after
> all, and that demands quite a lot of number crunching, running on GPU, sure

That's not realy the kind of number crunching that POV-Ray need.

The GPU is good at sequemtial number crunching: Decoding a video stream,
decoding an audio stream, performing some scan line rendering.
POV-Ray need random access number crunching and use the FPU for that,
not the CPU itself. During ray tracing, it's prety hard to anticipate
what data will need to be treated next.