POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Unknown pixelation at high quality. : Re: Unknown pixelation at high quality. Server Time
29 Apr 2024 02:36:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unknown pixelation at high quality.
From: Stephen
Date: 1 Aug 2013 15:10:37
Message: <51fab2ad$1@news.povray.org>
On 31/07/2013 10:57 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> It took a while to write, then fix, then go around and around in total n00b math
> circles, etc.
>
> I was very happy to get the belts to work nicely using cones to mimic a v-belt,
> to have one gray cone to give the eye something to follow and perhaps enhance
> the sense of motion, and to get the belt to sag somewhat and not look so
> perfectly CG.

A good idea. But you can split your animation into parts. For instance
this short clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urX5kI-5e4E

is repeated several times in this animation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3ez6FIgdNs

Well the short code loops in the longer animation code. because of the
symmetry you don't need to have a full life cycle of the belt completing
a full revolution.

> In the event I have time, I might try to add some psudo-random shaking and
> wiggling to the belt, and maybe the frame.

It would be good but no shortcuts I think.

> Though maybe I ought to work on learning layered textures and synching up the
> normal with the texture.

That is a good idea to do early on or you end up like me, never getting
round to doing it. :-(

> Considering using isowood.

I've never used it, myself.

> I followed Friederich Lohmueller's animation tutorial.

An excellent site.

> DTA is what he
> recommended on his site, it seemed trivial (it was! Yay! :) ) and I figured it
> was good for a first animation to use what obviously worked, and then perhaps
> proceed from there.

I cannot fault your logic.

> Is there a reason to use png vs bmp for animation?

File size. No matter how big your HDD, it will fill up as you make
version after version, getting things right.

> I tried the other program - seems to get rid of most of that artefact dross.
> Do you think it's just a function of DTA, or the AVI encoding format?
> TMPGEnc is outputting it to m1v format, so I have no reference.

TMPGEnc will also output to mpg, which is the favoured format here. Or
so I was told. It does default to m1v, though. Select stream type -
system. Then go into settings. I am no expert and others may give better
advice. I use Automatic VBR and change the max and min bit rate from
high settings to the lowest that will give good results. (This is where
a lower file size comes in useful as I make lots of tests.)

> Thanks so much for the help.

It is a pleasure.

--
Regards