POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Output Image METADATA of critical settings from POV-Ray? : Re: Output Image METADATA of critical settings from POV-Ray? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Output Image METADATA of critical settings from POV-Ray?
From: Alex Stewart
Date: 17 Jul 2013 20:34:20
Message: <51e7380c$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:49:04 +0200, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 16/07/2013 17:26, Jeff nous fit lire :
>> Sure would be nice if there were a way for POV-Ray to encode a lot of
>> the critical settings (command line quality/AA/etc. options) as well as
>> possibly camera/lookat and all light vector locations, clock values
>> into the JPG/PNG image similar to the way the digital cameras put all
>> the ISO/focus/etc info tagged in there (even using simple metatags
>> would be nice).  This would allow me to keep track of some limited link
>> to at least a rudimentary amount of the settings used to generate an
>> image many months later amid so many test renders...
[...]
> The problem is that metadata are limited, on some format, to only 4
> lines of exactly 80 characters (ascii only). there is no place for all
> you have requested.

(a) That is not true of either PNG or JPG files.  There is no reason this
information could not be included in those file formats.

(b) I personally don't care about other archaic image file formats that
have those sorts of comment limitations, but even if for some reason other
folks do, you can pack a lot of information into 320 characters.  I
suspect simply listing the source filename and non-default command-line
options needed to reproduce the output would probably fit easily in that
space for all but a few extreme cases, so even that's not really a valid
reason not to do it..

FWIW, I agree with Jeff that including render settings information in the
output would be very useful, and I see no reason it couldn't be included,
at the very least, in PNG/JPG files, and possibly others.

-alex