POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : medias with pov3.7 : Re: medias with pov3.7 Server Time
27 Jun 2024 20:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: medias with pov3.7
From: clipka
Date: 15 Jul 2013 20:45:05
Message: <51e49791$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.07.2013 09:28, schrieb Ger Remmers:

> I have not tested, nor will I, all the claims that have been made here,
> but one thing that I have noticed is that povray 3.7 takes longer to
> store an image once it's done rendering it. I assume it's because of the
> pov-state file which, in my case, is stored on a server.

It might actually be the time POV-Ray needs to clean up the pov-state
file. It can be pretty bad on Windows systems.

Again on Windows systems, there's also a known problem when the image is
too simple: The thread responsible for assembling the image from the
rendered chunks may become swamped with finished chunks, and may still
be busy processing them all long after the render threads have already
done their job. With large images, this can even lead to the paradox
situation that the simpler the scene gets the more physical memory is
eaten up during the render. (Fortunately, if this maxes out physical
memory it only bogs down the POV-Ray thread, and doesn't throw the
entire system into swap hell like it would happen in other situations.)