POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Newbie cannot make +D to work : Re: Newbie cannot make +D to work Server Time
16 May 2024 14:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie cannot make +D to work
From: Alex Stewart
Date: 12 Jul 2013 14:41:42
Message: <51e04de6$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 09:01:44 -0400, Warp wrote:
> If you are compiling it yourself you need to install the SDL libraries
> or else the preview won't work. Pay attention to what the configure
> script prints.

FWIW, this particular issue has caught me several times, and is annoying
every single time.  It's very easy to configure and build without
realizing that configure didn't find the SDL libraries, and if you miss
that one little message (or if you weren't even the one who compiled it in
the first place), there's no way to tell that this is actually the problem
you're encountering.

Firstly, IMHO, povray should not say "Graphic display......On" if it has
not been compiled with support for that function.  That is just plain
wrong and misleading.  In my opinion, in such cases it should default to
"Off" (or maybe even say something like "Disabled" instead of "Off"), and
if you try to specify "+D", it should error out with a message something
like "This version of POV-Ray was compiled without support for the Display
option"..