POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : medias with pov3.7 : Re: medias with pov3.7 Server Time
27 Jun 2024 20:14:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: medias with pov3.7
From: Alain
Date: 5 Jul 2013 20:28:31
Message: <51d764af$1@news.povray.org>

> On 07/04/2013 10:36 PM, Alain wrote:
>

>> The final word is that, with version 3.7, you get TWO times while
>> version 3.6 only have one:
>>
>> Time 1 is external, wall clock, time. It's the time you actualy have to
>> wait.
>>
>> Time 2 is internal, total CPU time. It's the SUM of the time taken by
>> ALL cores or CPUs of your computer. This time can get significatively
>> larger than the strictly single thread process of version 3.6.x while
>> the external, wall clock time, get shorter.
>>
>> Next, with some scenes, the IO processes can bog you down. This tend to
>> affect mostly very complexe scenes or hit you when rendering at very
>> large dimentions, like 32000 by 24000 or more...
>>

>> Alain
>
> I have not tested, nor will I, all the claims that have been made here,
> but one thing that I have noticed is that povray 3.7 takes longer to
> store an image once it's done rendering it. I assume it's because of the
> pov-state file which, in my case, is stored on a server.

The image file is not created untill the trace is finished. All the
image information is keept in the .povstate file and in a RAM buffer.

When using version 3.6 and older, the image is updated at the end of
each rendered line. That way, you are not aware of that time as it's
spread throuhough the tracing process.

There is a side effect when creating a PNG image. With version 3.7, the
image file is possibly slightly smaller. Encoding the whole image can
result in a more effecient compression than when encoding it one line at
a time.