POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Very big time difference of a render : Re: Very big time difference of a render Server Time
19 May 2024 16:36:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very big time difference of a render
From: Alain
Date: 28 Jun 2013 18:46:31
Message: <51ce1247$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain, thanks!
> I assume that I understood about what you wrote
> Not clearly here it:
>
> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>
>> If a mesh object is surrounded by media, is totaly or partialy
>> transparent AND you don't want any media inside, you need to use version
>> 3.7 RC7 or later and add "inside_vector" followed by a direction vector.
>> This also allow the mesh to be used in a difference or intersection by
>> making it "solid".
>> If a mesh have an inside_vector and need to contain some media, it need
>> the "hollow" option.
>>

> "inside_vector" - What is it? It is necessary to develop normals in comparison
> with RC6?
> I would be very grateful to you for very small example of a code: mesh(not
> mesh2!)-room with window, mirror floor with texture image and metallic, media
> scattering and photons(pass_through).

The inside_vctor is a tool that enable a mesh object to be used as a
solid primitive. Otherwise, it's just a shell that can't be used in a
difference or intersection.

It can be added to any mesh. Just add:
inside_vector<1,0,0>
AFTER all other components of the mesh and before any other modifier and
transform.
The exact direction of the inside_vector is not crutial as long as it's
not parallel with a face.

A difference of a box and a mesh normaly return the box with an
invisible thickness less cut. With a mesh with an inside_vector, the
mesh can actualy remove parts of the other object.

A difference of a mesh without an inside_vector only return the surface
of the mesh inside the other object. With inside_vector, you get some
actual volume.

It have nothing to do with the normals.

It's only an added attribute for the mesh.
If I remember correctly, it was introduced in the earlyest RC releases,
or one of the last beta.

Sample:
mesh{ Body_Of_The_Mesh
  material{Some_Material}
  inside_vector<1,0,0>
  transform Transform
}

> I am inclined to pass from mesh2 to mesh. It will allow to apply a separate
> material to each triangle. Probably, I didn't see how to do it with mesh2.

Whatever you can do with a mesh can be done with a mesh2.
With both, you can apply a texture on a vertice per vertice level.
A mesh2 can optionaly have a texture list similar to that of the vertice
and normal lists.
With both, a single triangle can have 3 textures, one associated with
each vertices.

The main difference is that a mesh can, with time and patience, be
codded by hand, while a mesh2 is best suited for an automated process by
a programm.

> It very much would help me and Mr with acceleration of creation of the exporter
> Blender to Povray.
> Thank you!

I invite you to read the online documentation here:

2.4.2.3 Mesh
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/292/
2.4.2.3.1 Solid Mesh DON'T apply to version 3.6.1.

2.4.2.4 Mesh2
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/293/

Alain