POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurface: max_gradient warning? : Re: Isosurface: max_gradient warning? Server Time
10 May 2024 01:13:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface: max_gradient warning?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 24 Jun 2013 03:08:20
Message: <51c7f064$1@news.povray.org>
Le 23/06/2013 21:44, Warp nous fit lire :
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> Instead of isCopy, what about adding in mginfo a boolean
>> "printed_warning" (actual name should be more appropriate), set to false
>> on creation, and turn to true on the first call (instead of last for
>> 3.6.1) of the warning displaying function (test for false, set to true
>> if false) ? (and dropping isCopy in the process)
>
> The problem with that is that all copies of the same isosurface object
> would need a shared variable, which has to be separate for all distinct
> isosurface objects, unless it's enough to print a warning about one
> isosurface object and ignore the rest.

From my understanding, the function is already shared (in the mginfo
sub-structure) (indeed, mginfo currently store the max_gradient and more
data too), so, if it come from the same declaration of function, it make
sense to report the warning only once. That won't solve the tricky
non-thread-safe issue on max_gradient, but would restore a behaviour
similar to 3.6.1: for each copies of the same isosurface (but
transformation & friends), display the warning only once (but at least
once).