POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurface: max_gradient warning? : Re: Isosurface: max_gradient warning? Server Time
10 May 2024 16:31:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface: max_gradient warning?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Jun 2013 03:04:30
Message: <51c7ef7e$1@news.povray.org>
On 23-6-2013 20:02, MichaelJF wrote:
> First I can confirm Thomas issue, but I cannot remember if it was the change
> from 3.6 to 3.7 or from a release candidate of 3.7 to the next as the
> max_gradient warnings disappeared. My quick work around is simple: if you see
> black holes: rise it. If you trace an isosurface (exspecially for camera
> position) and you yield a black image you most likely dropped through a black
> whole due to this issue: rise it too. This occurs for example using randomized
> camera locations within Jaime's project tierra. It would be fine to have a guess
> how much to rise it as we had in the past, which would save the one or other
> rendering hour of course.
>
> But what is a "naked isosurface"? Isosurfaces must be contained in a container
> object. Having Poser, I only can imagine "naked" mesh objects ... ;-)

It is an isosurface not wrapped into an object by #declare or #local. I
can indeed confirm too that this is the true cause.

My suggestion (my 2 cents) would be to leave things as they are now, but
to explain the behaviour in the Docs. If a user wants to test the
max_gradient value he can write an #if #else switch like Bill did below.

Good spotting by the way by those who found the answer.

Thomas