POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurface: max_gradient warning? : Re: Isosurface: max_gradient warning? Server Time
10 May 2024 00:26:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface: max_gradient warning?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 23 Jun 2013 13:13:10
Message: <51c72ca6$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/23/2013 04:27 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 22/06/2013 15:57, Thomas de Groot nous fit lire :
>> On 22-6-2013 10:38, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> So, I cannot duplicate the original issue, at least on the unix port.
>
>> Whatever value for max_gradient I use (too low or too high) the
>> expected warning never appears in the message window like it used to
>> do. I need it to determine the values for evaluate.
>
> The only difference is less context.
> Or is it a Windows specific issue ? (I hope not)

It seems to be the case the gradient warnings are only generated if the
isosurface is naked. If it is wrapped in an object as was the case with
my thread safety example, we get no warnings.

Inserting some comments in the IsoSurface::DispatchShutdownMessages code
as follows:
//------------------------ code -------------
mginfo->max_gradient = max((DBL)temp_max_gradient,mginfo->max_gradient);

    cerr << "In DispatchShutdownMessages" << endl;
         if (isCopy == false)
         {
    cerr << "isCopy false" << endl;
                 FunctionCode *fn = vm->GetFunction(*(Function));

                 if (fn != NULL)
                 {
    cerr << "fn not NULL" << endl;
                         if (eval == false)
                         {
    cerr << "eval == false" << endl;
                                 // Only show the warning if necessary!
it looks like the "if (isCopy == false)" does not test positive when the
isosurface is wrapped in an object, but it does when the isosurface is
naked.

Bill P.