POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Very big time difference of a render : Re: Very big time difference of a render Server Time
7 May 2024 12:04:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very big time difference of a render
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Jun 2013 08:43:03
Message: <51c1a757@news.povray.org>
On 18-6-2013 20:43, MichaelJF wrote:

>> It is a bad way! If animation?
>
> Yes in case of an animation this isn't a good idea. In case of a still it is the
> way to go.

I do not see the problem in the case of an animation, as Poseray is only
used once, before any animation is started...

But that leads us away from the thread's topic doesn't it?  ;-)

As Alain mentioned your problem is with the media settings. The first
> example uses an extinction value of 0.01 the second 4.871. The first scene has
> 30 samples within cube_001 the second 256 and there are some different settings
> with the light_sources. These settings causes the prolonged rendering time.

Media samples can certainly be brought down. Additionally, there seems
to be a /coincident surface/ problem with the wall at left, judging from
the artefacts there.

> Thomas mentioned problems with bad defined meshes which is true in general, but
> not with your simple ones here. You have only a cube and such but not Lucy. I
> think he only tried to give you an other hint, what could be got wrong from his
> long time experience with POV.

Just to say that POV-Ray and meshes (mesh2 in particular) work very well
together :-)

The meshes from Blender look OK but I am no expert on Blender and its
exporter to POV-Ray.

Thomas