POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Want to attach one object to another : Re: Want to attach one object to another Server Time
1 Jun 2024 14:36:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Want to attach one object to another
From: Alain
Date: 18 Jun 2013 22:36:13
Message: <51c1191d$1@news.povray.org>

> I have a cylinder that needs a label.
> So i created the cylinder object and the label object.
> this http://www.harry-arends.nl/werkgroep/images/WrapText.png
> should look like this http://www.harry-arends.nl/werkgroep/images/Ptdc0437.jpg
>
> I was looking at the wrap commant but with no result

If you use the cylindrical warp with the once option, all should be
nice. Be sure to scale horizontaly so that it covers the correct part.
If it covers 1 fourth of the circonference, you need to use
scale<1/4,1,1>. Without scaling, the image will get wrapped around
exactly once, the right side touching the left side.
Scale along the Y direction to get the correct hight. It start at 1 unit
high.
In this case, scaling along the Z axis have no effect.

You may want to give the label some thickness.
In that case, I'd use a cylinder just very slightly larger than the body
of your object, and apply the image_map to it. Use a difference or
intersection to keep only the part with your image, or use a transparent
pigment for the part outside of the label. The transparent pigment will
leave a gap that may be visible in some cases.