POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering to a window : Re: Rendering to a window Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering to a window
From: James Holsenback
Date: 24 May 2013 18:26:33
Message: <519fe919$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/24/2013 01:57 PM, MichaelJF wrote:
> Kene Meniru <Ken### [at] illomorg> wrote:
>> I was just wondering if it is possible to run povray and have the image show
>> on a window such as one created using pyqt for example QtGui.QWidget or
>> maybe something like libQGLViewer showing examples here -
>> http://www.libqglviewer.com/examples/index.html. I am programming a python
>> CAD program which I want to have a more unified/integrated interface.
>>
>> I know I can run it via command line and will probably keep doing that but I
>> was just curious and after searching the net for a couple of days I just
>> wanted to throw it out there in this forum just in case I am missing
>> something.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>>
>> Kene
>> ::::::::::::::::::
>> KeM### [at] gmailcom
>
> What system are you running? Linux or Windows? As you requested this, I would
> assume you must be a Linux user since the Windows version displays the
> POV-output at the fly. If it is possible to have this with Linux I would like to
> learn how to do it as well as you.
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

from line 217 of the file INSTALL included with the linux source build
package:

"- SDL version 1.2 or above (used for the display preview)
   http://www.libsdl.org"

if everything went ok during configure/make at the command line do:

povray --version

and you should see ...

X Window display:          enabled (using SDL)

the rest is proper command line switches +d +p ... etc