POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Free povray rendering service : Re: Free povray rendering service Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free povray rendering service
From: scott
Date: 16 May 2013 03:55:54
Message: <5194910a$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, so far, it is only an idea. The server is a quad-core Intel(tm) core i7
> with 32GB ram. So, nothing super fancy but still decent I guess. I intend to add
> a web frontend where you need to create an account. Once logged in you can
> upload a zip archive with all your sources in it and you can specify which size
> and other params to povray. There will be a queue of pending images to render.
> So, the jobs will be picked one after the other (or maybe 2-4 in parallel) and
> rendered. To render it, the zip is unpacked (in a sandbox with let's say 10GB
> disk) and the normal povray will be run to render your scene. The server runs on
> linux, so I can set limits for mem usage of povray. I will probably also set
> time limits, so that your jobs gets aborted after 12 hours or so. Maybe put it
> back in the queue and allow it to be resumed when it is again at the head of the
> queue. Once the rendering is done, you will get an email and you can download
> the resulting image. It is not really a cloud thingy as it is a single server
> and so.. but nowadays everything that runs on a server is called cloud, so well
> :o)

Sounds like a very good idea.

Not wishing to try and run before walking, but if it's successful then
people could also register their "spare" servers on your web interface,
which would then get used transparently (to the user wanting render work
done). Your server would manage farming the work out to others and
collecting the results etc. I'm sure lots of people have or have access
to servers that are not doing much (CPU-wise) most of the time. Then it
would truly be a POV cloud renderer :-)