POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Apparent bounding bug in sphere_sweep : Re: Apparent bounding bug in sphere_sweep Server Time
20 May 2024 09:58:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apparent bounding bug in sphere_sweep
From: clipka
Date: 3 May 2013 11:39:05
Message: <5183da19$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.05.2013 11:36, schrieb Kenneth:

> This cubic spine business has been causing problems with the sphere sweep for
> years (and apparently continues to do so.) At this point, I would venture an
> opinion: get rid of that spline. *If* there is a suitable replacement. (I'm no
> mathematician, so I don't know such things--not sure I even want to know! So
> this opinion might be a very naive one.)

There is no suitable replacement.

There are various levels of "smoothness" a spline may provide: Linear
splines provide gradual change of position, but the direction changes
abruptly at certain points; quadratic splines also provide a gradual
change of direction, but the rate of change in direction (the
"acceleration", so to speak) changes abruptly. Cubic splines also allow
for gradual change of this acceleration.

There /are/ other splines that do allow the same level of smoothness;
however, fun fact is that unless you're choosing some very exotic (and
mathematically even more challenging) spline, they're all cubic (aka 3rd
order polynomial) splines at heart, with just a different way of
parameterizing them via a series of points.

That said, I suspect that all the problems with the cubic splines
primitive in POV-Ray are implementation issues rather than inevitable
mathematical problems.