POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Windows 8 : Re: Windows 8 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 8
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Apr 2013 17:54:03
Message: <51745ffb$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/21/2013 12:41 AM, Warp wrote:
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> And if you remember (for the old timers), Windows never got the
>> installation process right since its beginning: installing or removing
>> an application and you had to reboot.
>
> The most ridiculous thing up to Windows 98 was that if you changed your
> network settings (eg. your IP address), you had to reboot in order for
> them to take effect.
>
> At least WinXP and newer do the sane thing and let you change them
> on-the-fly. There's really not any rational reason not to.

In all honesty, half the shit that they rebooted for, and even a few
things they still do (usually third party now, it seems), are things
that work perfectly fine without it. I think the main thing they worry
about, in most cases, unless its a core OS component, is that something
may go wrong, like a power outage, and in very rare cases, this *could*
cause a failure of new components to stay properly registered. I.e., the
damn thing might decide to load the "backup" of the registry, or
something, and then all the changes would be wrong for the program in
question.

Mostly, even drivers don't need it any more though.

I am damned glad you can more easily roll those back under 7+ though
now. Had a "optional install", which was supposed to make some speed
improvements in USB 3.0 ports, but, due to some quirk in the install, it
instead disabled the root host for USB entirely, so that no devices
where detected (except, thankfully, by keyboard and mouse, otherwise...
gah!) Had to roll it back, and "bam" the moment it did, it worked again,
no reboot needed.