POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Windows 8 : Re: Windows 8 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 8
From: Urs Holzer
Date: 20 Apr 2013 07:04:29
Message: <5172763d@news.povray.org>
MichaelJF wrote:
> One of the reasons why I didn't tried Suse again with my last private
> machine was that especially the problem of handedness wasn't really
> implented with Suse. One can chance the mouse from right to left
> within the kde but not all programs (even kde-programs) uses this
> settings. So you have a GUI which is left handed but some programs
> (e.g. the file manager) are still right handed, ignoring the kde
> settings completelly. I experienced this again just yesterday with an
> older nachine I have Suse (11.3) running. But since I was trained to
> be right handed during my youth and experienced later that I was left
> handed originally, I can cope with this but it is not convenient.

It should be possible to change that in the configuration of the X-
Server (given Suse does not yet use wayland). Depending on which version
of the X-Server you have and which mouse driver is in use, it works a
little bit differently.

See for example (execute this command in a shell)
  man 4 evdev
There you can read this:

       Option "ButtonMapping" "string"
              Sets  the  button mapping for this device. The mapping
              is a space-separated list of button mappings that cor‐
              respond in order to the physical buttons on the device
              (i.e. the first number is the mapping  for  button  1,
              etc.).  The  default mapping is "1 2 3 ... 32". A map‐
              ping of 0 deactivates the button. Multiple buttons can
              have  the  same  mapping.   For example, a left-handed
              mouse with deactivated scroll-wheel would use  a  map‐
              ping  of "3 2 1 0 0". Invalid mappings are ignored and
              the default mapping is used. Buttons not specified  in
              the user's mapping use the default mapping.

In this case, you would probably put a file mouse.conf in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d containing this:

       Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier "mouse"
         Driver "evdev"
         Option "Device"   "/dev/???"
         Option "ButtonMapping" "3 2 1"
       EndSection

(Older X-Server's need this section in the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Just
look wich one of the two already exists. Also see 'man xorg.conf'.)

Note that I don't know what ??? should be. You have to look that up in
the X-Server's log file (/var/log/xorg.log or similar). There you also
see whether it really uses the evdev driver as I assumed. I can help you
with this, if you want. (You can contact me directly per mail for this.)

On the other hand, one would hope that Suse's configuration tool (is it
still called yast?) contains a section for the X-Server. Maybe there is
somewhere another option for left-handed mouses hidden?

Greetings
Urs