POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone? : Re: POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Apr 2013 12:12:45
Message: <51701b7d$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 08:53:59 +0100, scott wrote:

>> Posters have often given explicit permission to use images as
>> wallpapers, for example, but this would seem to fall under Fair Use or
>> Fair Dealing in many countries, anyway.
>
> I don't think such explicit permission would be necessary,

Probably not, though IANAL, it seems that such use would be fair use,
unless it were used to make money.

This is something that I ran into occasionally when teaching new
instructors how to do presentations.  It's not acceptable, for example,
to use a Dilbert cartoon in a public presentation without explicit
permission to do so.  Not because Scott Adams is a jerk, but because that
would constitute a commercial use (especially in a class that's paid
attendance) and might even be seen as an endorsement of the class,
depending on how it's used.

But as a wallpaper, or printed out and hanging on an office cubicle
wall?  That'd be difficult to make a case for, I think.

Jim