POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : How to render 3d smoke using exisiting particle data : Re: How to render 3d smoke using exisiting particle data Server Time
26 Apr 2024 05:33:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to render 3d smoke using exisiting particle data
From: Alain
Date: 16 Apr 2013 16:52:30
Message: <516dba0e$1@news.povray.org>

> Dear all,
>
> I want to render a nice 3d smoke figure on to my screen using the measured
> experimental data (which is a 3d array of smoke density values in different
> position and different time). I have checked Rune's particle system and learned
> the particle system of pov-ray might be the way to obtain my goal.
>
> It may be an easier job compared to Rune's work, because there is no need to
> calculate new positions and velocities of particles. In Rune's work, when the
> rendering completed, there was a particle data file generated. And my question
> is how to render a 3d picture using the existing particle data?
>

> simple example or give me a direction in this.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ray

You may not need to use particles. Have you tried using media?
If your smoke density data is composed of integers encoded as 1, 2 or 3
bytes integers, it could be trivial to convert it into a .DF3 file and
use it directly to controll the media density. Just remove the header
and replace it by the X, Y and Z dimentions. It's also possible to read
the data and output the DF3 file from POV-Ray.

Next, make a relatively tight container, a box, sphere or cylinder as
appropriate, add hollow and a media block.