POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Windows 8 : Re: Windows 8 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 8
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Apr 2013 06:34:46
Message: <516a8646$1@news.povray.org>
Le 14/04/2013 10:39, Warp nous fit lire :
> Cousin Ricky <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
>> Read up on Win8 before buying my new computer, so if a computer for sale came
>> with Win8, it was /immediately/ off my list.  Win8 even makes it difficult to
>> install Linux; to do the install you have to disable some security feature, and
>> disabling /any/ security feature on /any/ Micro$hit product sounds like running
>> naked through thorn bushes.
>
> How can Win8 make it difficult to install linux, given that it's not running
> at all when you install the latter?
>
> Or do you mean that after you have installed linux and try to boot to win8,
> it will start complaining?

IMHO, it's a shortcut: some new motherboard came now with UEFI which
aims (and succeed) at forbidding installation of non-authorized OS. (yet
another shortcut, it's from UEFI 2.3.1)

Designed for Win8 --> UEFI might be active --> do not buy.

The interesting fact about PC market: the sell are now falling... and
some put the blame on Win8.

(the secure mode of UEFI is by default, and might, up to the model, be
under control of the user or not)