POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Windows 8 : Re: Windows 8 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 8
From: clipka
Date: 13 Apr 2013 13:25:45
Message: <51699519$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.04.2013 19:34, schrieb MichaelJF:
> scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
>>> was now delivered with Windows 8 unfortunatelly.
>>
>> Can't you install the same OS that was on your old machine on the new
>> one? Then delete it off the old one (or maybe just not using it is
>> enough to satisfy the license terms?).
>
> No, Windows as to Version 7 needs to be activated, which means that your
> MAC-adress and other system specific numbers have to be registrated. Some
> changes were allowed (a new hard drive e.g.), but not a new machine.

Are you sure about that? You might need to activate the OS via phone,
but other than that it /should/ work ok.

(Then again, maybe it's a thing they only allow in the EU, or maybe even
just Germany; there have been successful lawsuits here, specifically
against Microsoft, that software vendors must allow their products to be
re-sold even by end users - even if the software is sold as a
pre-installed OEM version. Of course this requires re-activation on a
completely new piece of hardware.)

> Now one has
> to make an account at Microsoft to use Windows 8. That means one has to give an
> email-address. This is a new qualitiy IMO.

I guess that the EU will file a lawsuit against that once again, though
we'll have to see whether it'll be successful this time.