POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation : Re: Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 2 Apr 2013 19:08:02
Message: <515b64d2$1@news.povray.org>
Mahadeesh wrote:

> I agree that we cant simulate microwave backscattering effect, but instead of
> that an light model is considered here. Can you throw some light on the line
> "diffuse texture for the back scattering" as mentioned in your post ? Similarily
> on the "radiosity for the bounces" ?

it would probably be helpful if you play a bit with povray just to see
how light, objects and textures are defined to render images. The manual
covers this very well.

Basically a texture defines how the surface of an object interacts
with light. For example, a white object will reflect all light and a
black object reflects no light. The amount also depends on the angle
between surface and incident light, with diffuse lighting it it
proportional to cosinus of angle.

Classic raytracing only considers light source and object, but
the radiosity feature of povray can also calculate how the diffuse
reflection from one object can illuminate a second object. Again,
have a look at the manual and sample scenes to learn more.

Note that you will not get phase information from povray (and no
other meaningful results related to wavelength). Colors in povray
are only simulated as RGB and not real spectral response.