POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Rendering time using animations : Re: Rendering time using animations Server Time
29 Apr 2024 06:50:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering time using animations
From: John VanSickle
Date: 31 Mar 2013 20:45:27
Message: <5158d8a7$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/31/2013 10:25 AM, nimda wrote:
> John VanSickle <evi### [at] KOSHERhotmailcom> wrote:
>>
>> See if you can replace the complex objects and their shadows with
>> sprites.  Getting the projection math right is going to be non-trivial.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John
>
> I suppose this will involve the use of the "trace" function?
> Or, maybe take a picture of the object/shadow and make the surroundings
> transparent with GIMP or so, en then use this as an image-map on a box or so.

The second choice.

You can tell POV-Ray to make the surroundings transparent, so that the
GIMP is not needed.

You will probably also want to make another rendering to use to make the
shadow in the scene, so that each of these objects is represented by two
polygons.  One polygon is shadowless and has the image of the object
itself.  The other polygon is the cast shadow.  This is because the
sprite representation of your object will probably not cast a realistic
shadow.

I should probably give this idea a test to see how difficult it is.

Regards,
John