POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Batch/command-line render in Windows : Re: Batch/command-line render in Windows Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Batch/command-line render in Windows
From: clipka
Date: 25 Mar 2013 08:48:58
Message: <515047ba$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.03.2013 17:03, schrieb Timwi:
> On 16/03/2013 18:27, clipka wrote:
>>
>> As for "massively" inconveniencing "all" Windows users: Most Windows
>> users have been happy to run their renders from within the GUI, and
>> Windows never really made batch processing easy anyway, so people
>> requiring batch processing would typically turn towards Linux in the
>> first place.
>
> Only opinionated Linux users can seriously think that :(

That statement of yours can easily be disproven: I'm a mouse-pushing
Microsoft addict, who even appreciates some of their products, and I
personally think that for desktop systems GNU/Linux is still no serious
alternative to Windows; and I'm a layman when it comes to administering
a Linux system (even though I'm a professional software developer), to
the point that I detest administering Linux systems. But when there's
serious batch processing to do, I'd take Linux any time, and even go
through the hassle of setting up a system myself.

So there exists at least one person who seriously thinks what I wrote,
and isn't an opinionated Linux user.

> There is nothing about Windows that makes command-line stuff like batch
> processing *so* hard that it would be worth it to install, run and learn
> Linux.

Believe me, there is.

> this.

For rendering a thousand images, the typical approach would be to set
this thing up as an animation job.

I'm not saying that users such as you don't exist. But they're far from
"all" Windows users, and they're not "massively" inconvenienced.