POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specular, reflection and diffuse guidelines : Specular, reflection and diffuse guidelines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:30:19 EDT (-0400)
  Specular, reflection and diffuse guidelines
From: FlyerX
Date: 22 Mar 2013 16:38:15
Message: <514cc137$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

Following the old lantern discussion on the images group I noticed that
it was mentioned that, for more realistic results, R+D<1 to keep the
reflected light intensity below the incoming light intensity. I also
noticed that as a starting rule of thumb S<R with S=R/2 for most
materials and S=R for metallic finishes.

How about specular highlight with relation to Diffuse? A very high
specular value would show a reflected value higher than the incoming
light. Should it be S+R+D<1?  Or is specular highlight independent? I am
assuming only specular highlight (phong=0), albedo active, and
conserve_energy is on.

Most likely I am wrong on this but I just wanted to know if this correct
for more realistic materials.

FlyerX