POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : FS#17 - square blotches in transparency recurrence ? : Re: FS#17 - square blotches in transparency recurrence ? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 02:27:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FS#17 - square blotches in transparency recurrence ?
From: clipka
Date: 18 Mar 2013 20:27:01
Message: <5147b0d5@news.povray.org>
Am 19.03.2013 00:37, schrieb rodv92:
> hello, i am currently having the same bug as described in :
> http://bugs.povray.org/task/17
> on Povray 3.7 RC7 msvc10.win64
>
> the bug was fixed in change #4822, but in my scene it is recurring (or I may
> have done something dumb, i hope so)

Let's rephrase this: You're seeing similar symptoms. Whether it is the
same bug is yet to be examined.

>                      radiosity {
>
>                                   brightness 2.2
>                                   count 50
>                                   error_bound 0.15
>                                   gray_threshold 0.0
>                                   low_error_factor 0.2
>                                   minimum_reuse 0.015
>                                   nearest_count 10
>                                   recursion_limit 3
>                                   adc_bailout 0.01
>                                   max_sample -1.0
>                                   media off
>                                   normal off
>                                   always_sample 1
>
>                                   pretrace_start 0.08
>                                   pretrace_end 0.01
>
>                              }

32x32 block artifacts may also appear when a significant number of
radiosity samples is taken during the main render rather than the
pretrace. This is why "always_sample" now defaults to off, and it is
highly recommended to leave it at this setting. (I can't think of any
scenario where "always_sample on" would make any sense; if it wasn't for
backward compatibility, I'd have kicked it out of 3.7 in no time flat.)

Can you please try again with "always_sample off", and let us know
whether this fixes the block artifacts?

("brightness 2.2" is also not recommended - it should be left at the
default of 1.0 unless you know what you're doing - but that's a
different story and has nothing to do with the issues you're reporting.)