POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Batch/command-line render in Windows : Re: Batch/command-line render in Windows Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Batch/command-line render in Windows
From: Alain
Date: 16 Mar 2013 19:47:04
Message: <51450478$1@news.povray.org>

> Timwi <pov### [at] timwide> wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, the Windows version of POV-ray comes only with a GUI.
>>
>> What do I need to do to get a command-line-compatible renderer?
>
> I used batch files like this for Windows batch renders:
>
> setlocal
> set PATH=%PATH%;"C:\Users\Ricky Callwood\AppData\Local\Programs\POV-Ray\3.7\bin"
> :
> start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit +imyscenefile1.pov
> start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit +imyscenefile2.pov
> start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit +imyscenefile3.pov
> start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit 'myinifile[section1]'
> start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit 'myinifile[section2]'
> start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit 'myinifile[section3]'
> :
> endlocal
>
> The splash screen still showed, but it worked.  (Annoying, yes, but the POV team
> has its reasons for insisting on the splash screen.)  You would set the PATH to
> whatever is appropriate for your system.
>
> Note that I used the /nr switch to keep it from wasting time loading the editor
> windows.  If you don't want to lose your editor windows, you must keep one GUI
> session open during the batch run and set Options | Keep Single Instance to OFF.

A simple question:
WHY always add /exit in each command lines? Why not remove all /exit but
the last? That way, you start the first scene, when it's finished, you
start the second, without the splash screen. You also can save a little
time as you don't need to reload and initiate POV-Ray for each render.

Alain