POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scattering media with a white background (w/ images) : Re: Scattering media with a white background (w/ images) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scattering media with a white background (w/ images)
From: Alain
Date: 12 Mar 2013 20:45:03
Message: <513fcc0f@news.povray.org>

> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>

>> For all light_source, "media_atenuation" defaults to ON, no need to set it.
>
> Really? If so, I didn't know that. But the docs for "Atmospheric Attenuation"
> say this:
> "Normally light coming from light sources is not influenced by fog or
> atmospheric media. This can be changed by turning the media_attenuation on for a
> given light source on."
>
> Or did you mean media *interaction*? That DOES default to ON.

fog YES. fog never cause light atenuation. Regular absorbing and
scattering media, contained or not, always intract with your lights
unless you explicitely set media_attenuation off.

It may be another leftover from some early versions, like no later than
version 3.0, maybe version 2...
My first brush with scattering media date back to version 3.1, and I got
shadows from media as well as media self-shadowing. I've NEVER used
"media_atenuation on" and all my scattering medias cast shadows unless I
set extinction to zero.

In the same optic, ALL light_source, except shadowless ones, have this
default photons block:
photons{refraction on difraction on area_light off}

The documentations erroneously tell it's all OFF.

Alain