POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Options for drawing curves on surfaces : Re: Options for drawing curves on surfaces Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Options for drawing curves on surfaces
From: scott
Date: 11 Mar 2013 04:07:43
Message: <513d90cf$1@news.povray.org>
> One option would be to make the curve out a sphere-cylinder-sphere chain, with
> several hundred spheres.  This is pretty fast, but is there a tidy way to
> automate the generation of that in PoV script?  When I was younger I'd just
> write a C++ script to generate the PoV script but I'm hoping there's a tidy way
> to do this in PoVRay itself.  Of course, a problem with this is I'd have to
> appropriately crop the spheres if I wanted the effect to be seamless (and the
> curves partially transparent).

Couldn't you just "merge" the spheres and cylinders, then no cropping
should be necessary. A simple while or for loop in POV could create the
chain of spheres and cylinders, so long as your spheres are spaced close
enough it will look like a smooth curve. I did this a long time ago to
model speaker cable (two solid cores inside a semi-transparent case) and
it worked nicely.